You are Here :
Home Page > Departments > Prosthetic and Orthotic Department
Prosthetic and Orthotic Department
This Institute was the first to start the full-fledged Prosthetics & Orthotics Department along-with workshop and training programs in the field of Prosthetics & Orthotics in entire South-East Asia. The Pilot Workshop in Prosthetics & Orthotics was setup under the guidance of UNICEF with inputs from foreign experts along-with the machinery. These foreign experts trained locally trained available Engineers and Skilled Craftsmen in the art and science of manufacturing and fitting of Orthoses & Prostheses.
The concept of fabrication and fitment technology has now undergone a massive transformation over the years in terms of advanced measurement and casting techniques, advent of electronics and computerization as well as material technology after the year 2000.
Core services offered by the P & O Department
Following devices are manufactured and fitted to the needy persons as per the prescriptions given by Doctors in OPD of the Institute.
- Foot orthoses, moulded insoles for diabetic persons.
- Lower Limb Orthoses
- Lower Limb Prostheses
- Spinal Orthoses
- Upper Limb Prostheses
- Upper Limb Orthoses &
- Mobility Devices
PRODUCTION OF PROSTHESES & ORTHOSES
FITMENT OF PROSTHESES & ORTHOSES
B) Human Resource Development:
The Institute conducts Four and Half Years Bachelors in Prosthetics & Orthotics course with intake of 30 students and 2 Years Master in Prosthetics & Orthotics course of with the intake of 4 students affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS), Nashik and recognized by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), New Delhi.
C) Research & Development:
Following research projects are conducted in the department
- Tone Reducing Ankle Foot Orthoses in spastic diplegic cerebral palsy patients.
- Orthotic Management of Angular Deformities of the Knee Joint in Children.
- Custom Moulded Insoles to prevent and heal foot ulcers and reduce peak plantar pressure in patients with insensate feet.
- Development of Transtibial Squatting Prosthesis.
- Comparative Analysis between Rotation Plasty Prosthesis made in full plantar flexion and foot in 10 degree short of full plantar flexion.
FOOT ORTHOTICS LABORATORY